New Warrior Ways
11 is a master number. In celebration of all living masters who have ever walked this planet, here is a call to all of you to join me in forging a new kind of warrior on Planet Earth--the each and every human heart kind.
We have, today, a clear confluence of energy around this date, which will happen only once in the world's history, & those who have served as modern-day warriors for the United States of America.
And so I will say to you, thank you, as a warrior by nature, in soul. And also this: To all of these, so that there is less grief on this planet, perhaps you will join in in redefining "warrior" so that it simply means standing for good.
Below, you will find listed just some of the most pressing entities or stages set for battle for truth, honesty, integrity, and spiritual right--by every religion, spiritual tradition, & that Spirit which has influenced, inspired the laws that rule us all--that I have fought in my attempt to do something that used to be fairly easy in this country: Find a good job, with good people, pursue your dreams, live happy.
What I'm finding is that people like myself are becoming fewer & farther between. The only answer I have for this is that the world is not meant for artificial ways and so, either it destroys itself because there is literally no one left embodying purity in its natural state, which is by the soul, or, inevitably, that voice must become the guiding force by doing battle & winning over all objections.
What continues to come to me is we don't need more jobs, done the same way as always. We need a better way to sustain human life on this planet that reflects humanity's evolution thru consciousness, by default, & most recently, thru consciously chosen effort.
Potential employers want to know what I've been doing for the past year & 1/2 since I got to Phoenix, as if the ravaging I received in L.A., going back to Kansas City, & my hometown of Dubuque, Iowa weren't enough.
And so I've started to tell them, point blank, starting with a trusted ear just an evening or so ago.
Welcome to "The List" of Arizona hospitality, where I am still an undeniable part of the scenery, have many wonderful contacts, & absolutely no one who resonates with the idea of doing a job according to policy or law. Read the whole thing. I dare U.
Historically accurate New Warrior Ways (7.11.2012 useful edits in bold):
1. Buffalo Wild Wings-(Some of you, see previous E-Updates). Bombed out a transfer back to L.A., then GM's in Kansas City turned around & did the same thing, following inquiries! Turned around to get the orig. job back in Dubuque, & it was already gone due to a lack of hours! Show up here, am promised a f-t role on the team on Happy Valley Road, the GM is a total jack (also according to others in the industry in the area). (I am) Unfamiliar with Arizona heat. (He/they) Won't help me procure necessary Food Handler's card. Ride 1-speed Santa Monica beach cruiser bike 16+ miles ONE WAY to get the card. Pulls back the offer when I return with the card, having spent $ on it I didn't really even have because "he doesn't like my attitude" about the Food Handler's card. At least when I told him he was making the biggest mistake of his life, he said something crazy, "Yeah, I'll be losing the best server I would've ever had."
Today's note: He didn't care that I had just signed a year lease on an apt. based on the wages I was projected to make there. They had signed off on the confirmation letter.
2. Red Robin-Run across the street. Tell Jeremy, the asst. manager, the story. He & the store on Happy Valley hire me pretty much on the spot, over the course of multiple interviews. As previously described, waitresses R energetic drains, primarily, I'm assuming, over my other occupations (Modeling/Spiritual/Healing Leadership/Power Yoga). After having the gall to try forcing me into donating to the Giving Tree, which gives to needy employees, I fire back, in an executive-type of way, that I'd actually like to apply since all my furniture was destroyed by second-hand smoke & lying leasing agents back in Kansas City, and none of my clothes fit because I'm now a rail. He pouts. Days later, things are still disorganized, annoying. I'm told to buy BOOTCUT JEANS with money I still don't have. I hate bootcut jeans AND discount clothiers. I am put in the corner with a dunce cap on Day 3? 4? of training when, unlike my straight A's in all Honors courses within private institutions of learning, I can't pass their menu tests for the life of me. I don't even feel bad, for some reason. Pow-wow in the corner away from me, including the former Cheesecake Factory General Manager who'd lost his job & still was salty I wouldn't give to the Giving Tree with the pennies I'd be making as his subordinate. Oops. NO ONE had been giving Amy Jin the STUDY GUIDES with all the answers for all the quizzes! Oh. My. GOD!!!!! Then, that same day, without any kind of apology by anybody, he sends me home because my stupid little bootcut jeans have, like, one rip in them or something that could be construed as a rip, which makes them against (the dress) code. So I have no apologies when, instead of going home & changing, I call B.J. & Metro Motorsports & tell them that yes, I'll happily accept his offer (below)(that had come thru about the same time). A chunk of minutes later, a big, bad logo'd truck & trailer (I think) R waiting for me in the Red Robin Shopping Center Plaza.
3. Metro Motorsports/RideNow Peoria-Was told it would be Reception & Promos/Marketing/Events, I'd hoped with corporate (i.e. "commensurate") possibilities. Never happened, never happened. The girls I'd been warned about, some older, some younger, all became issues when they'd purposefully try to bamboozle me by not helping me cover the phones for things like going to the bathroom. One of my only comrades, the used-to-be-corporate Business Manager (but she'd gotten in trouble & had been demoted) who, for the most part, spoke my language, ran more than a few "random" tests to make sure it wasn't coincidence. No, they really are trying to mess with your position. And it turns out that they also steal money from the company by going missing for hours while still on the clock. And bully the Manager. And the GM. And yet, no one stop me when I walk out the door because, in the meantime, it turns out that the corporate buyout also means working at the store & helping Marketing R, for some stupid reason, not permissible. Even if you're a rockstar Marketer who's happy to work freelance. Other people are fired, come back, but apparently I'm like SO BAD because I walked for doing absolutely nothing wrong (for being bullied, not stood up for, and then not having the real job offer, basically), which makes me an anomaly, which must mean the bad one. Right? I mean, we can all tell the difference.
4. --Tandoori Village--Worked there for, like, 2 days. It was empty. The only other waitress told me to quit while I was ahead--I would never make any money there--that she'd been with them the longest & was even looking for a better job. She was right. And after evading any questions about process, procedure, & paychecks, & not seeing any connection between me & management or leadership of his new Scottsdale store, as opposed to merely serving, my intuition hit its limit, my 125, after being perfectly situated in their parking lot, did a total fall-over when I turned my back (I took it as an eerie sign regarding safety), but I stood in the restaurant 1 day until I was paid what was made in good faith & said, "What. The..."
5. --Dos Diablos--*Disorganized chef in some part of Scottsdale from the Palisades who seemed more interested in staring at me during our discussions about employment than providing a schedule or, once again, my wages. After 1, maybe 2 nights where I pretty much ran the place from the front of the house where he & servers went completely missing (for long periods of time), & there wasn't a word spoken about how to hostess at this restaurant, I waited at home for, I guess, my supposed full-time schedule. Was told he would see me again next weekend (Needed full-time, like, 2 years ago!!!). I said, "Uh, no." Still owes me money. Maybe like the Assistant Manager who was raging at him & the other owner when I went to fill out my application in an empty restaurant about how they'd better give her her money. That lady.
6. Integrity Staffing Solutions (on behalf of)/Amazon.com-Do I really have to revisit this one with you all? Bullied, discriminated against (by Blacks, a White girl, and a Latina! How fricking sad is that?!!--the extent of the involvement of the White girl, I don't know), wrongfully terminated for whistleblowing right before Christmas. Merry Christmas. But the EEOC has their number now (The EEOC didn't do jack s**t about this and determined it "unprove-able." How's the fact that I never worked at that job again, and I wanted to!, after that night as proof???). But (I must say that in that time,) it was interesting being personally present to 1 of my favorite online retailers going from movies, music, and books! to movies, music, books, lubricants, & vibrators because, as is so evident, they have so much class. And a special shout-out to Jason, one of my Amazon.com supervisors, for watching like a fricking robot zombie as I was walked out after I'd brought him all-natural cough drops the day before since he (& the rest of us) were all getting sick for slave labor we were required to work, in the absence of a union, on the graveyard shift.
7. Dickey's Barbeque Pit (MKT)*-Break-ins, employee theft, & managers sitting watching porn in the back instead of doing their job. You solicited my attention when I came in to get a soft-serve cone & found out I was stuck in the Great Recession! Did 10x the work of your former Marketers in the weeks I was there. And then, when you couldn't get your s**t together, & I raised a flag to corporate about your needing some support, (U freaked out when I) had everybody all the way up to Mr.Dickey himself in a stir when they'd come to AZ to shut U down themselves! U said you wanted to keep me, but I don't like control. And micromanaging, geeky school teacher GM's who try telling pure Business what & how to do. Hope U got lots of banquets & kept my commission (which is highly likely you did. Proud to be an exiled United States of American Business leader by the corrupt sheep herd).
8. Maricopa County Sheriff's Office (non-employer)-Racially profiled (see "The New BBB" [in these posts] & previous e-mails detailing this incident) a day or so after the Tucson shooting of Congresswoman Giffords. My trusted ear said it sounded like a gang rape waiting to happen, which was a pleasant thought. (They) Tried to get me off a Frontage Road I'd been walking on for months back to my apartment during a job search break, with my MP3 player & my Starbucks cup in my hand (dressed in yoga teacher clothes). Was forced off the road, over a metal barrier, down a cliff, to a "path" that didn't exist. Several sheriffs camped out in the area of the incident (I didn't know they were the notorious "MCSO" at the time, nor that they were under federal fire for racial discrimination, etc., as a culture [They have since been determined guilty of this & other crimes]--just dark, unmarked cars). 911 took their side. (The) Militant, compassionless, scary girl said they were trying to "protect" me. RIGHT. That's why he asked me for my I.D. twice. Even after I told him the 1st time I didn't have it. And asked who I was & where I was from. Communist--China--right? That's o-kay. The EEOC has Officer Armindarree's name & his sad little posse, too (Another "We can't help U" from the EEOC Phoenix, as well as from the Justice Department in Washington D.C. that was dealing with the MCSO in the aforementioned case. Their response is that their focus was Hispanics alone. Nice. Truly American).
9. Wendy's Old-Fashioned Hamburgers(,)
10. Sumits Yoga(,) &
11. Del Taco-Look, I don't want to reiterate what I've already told. Kid (the Asst. GM!) didn't show up for second interview when I'd told him I was simultaneously applying to fast food corporate offices so I could take over some fast food chain & make them earth-friendly & a positive force in this society (This was my inspired thought while I laid on the ground, in my furniture-less apartment, wondering if I'd be without income and yoga practitioners for the rest of my life in this country). I don't want to say this was my only option as I took on a teaching gig in North Scottsdale for a string of studios that started control-freaking me when my class size was growing exponentially without having any prior experience at or connection to their studio. And I don't want to go into how (when Wendy's finally did get their act together & got my interviews knocked out and were waiting to provide me some semblance of a schedule, and I chose to start with Del Taco in Anthem instead), Del Taco hazed me & sent me home for suggesting they have team meetings (What the *@*#$!&#*?!?!!!). Or how the franchise owner, who I'd had a great talk on the phone with, after I quit, promised to put me in a better store in a leadership position but then had his partner renig on that offer. How he lied to the State of California Unemployment System, thereby shutting off my next-to-nothing-anyway weekly payment, stating that he'd go to any length to make sure I got NOTHING from ANYONE. Is that Bipolar, Pschizo, or straight up Psycho? Brent Veach, Desert Taco, & Ian, your creepy little sidekick, fall off this planet.
12. City of Phoenix Police/Courthouse (non-employer)-See "The New BBB" on the website. Scooter harrassed for trying to be Superwoman Good Citizen (bullied & forced to stand in 110+ degree heat for over a half an hour as he maximized a bunch of questionable fines for speeding at flimsy levels & not having a motorcycle endorsement when I had no knowledge I needed one and had come from a state that didn't require one--had been thru everything just mentioned, with little to no income, pretty much since leaving L.A. in 2009--and, as is typically Amy Jin, had just come from the DMV office to find out if there was anything else I needed for my scooter in AZ!!! Thank God a former corrections officer? stopped and gave my 125 & I a ride home after C.Jones forced me to WALK my all-Raven [black] scooter miles back, thru main Phoenix roadways, back home...but not before he challenged me, basically, to get back on & ride it home after he drove away, stating that he'd stop & fine me again if he saw me ride it).(My interactions with City of Phoenix police had been really great up until this incident).
13. ROSS Stores*-Penis sculpture in a 2nd-round interview with the District Manager of the Deer Valley location must've been distracting even him because putting me in "at least" the higher of 2 available leadership positions turned into "whoops" 2 days later. They'd "accidentally" given both positions to other people. It's becoming apparent that parents & teachers in the state of Arizona don't raise people to say, "I'm sorry." Cuz that was it. Although, after accepting a part-time position that could only be taken with a random hook-up at the Buffalo Wild Wings, of all places, in Scottsdale, I appreciated the interrogation about laughing & having fun during the one & only training day I had with ROSS Stores & not wearing the ROSS uniform when I was the one moving everything forward all the way up to the day before about when the training date even was, much less that there was any kind of uniform involved. But it all made sense when I found out the interrogator (who stopped when I stood up to tell her off--she came up to about my waist) was my hiring manager's (see below) soon-to-be-ex-wife! at Circle K, & rumors at both ROSS & Circle K had been swirling about my looks?! & person--details of which had been passed from said Assistant Manager back to (the Circle K hiring Manager) Ed, breaching ROSS' confidentiality policy, according to the (ROSS General) Manager herself. Buffalo Wild Wings never came thru, by the way.
14. SAGE Luxury Apartments (non-employer)*-The place where I was living, which had sucked the living lifeblood out of me the entire year I lived there, that stole my security deposit, even though the little dork that wrote that up, AFTER I was told by yet another new girl that my ledger was clean & clear, as always, had run over to his apartment to bring me special creamer from his very own fridge for my coffee, because I was special, just weeks before. They stole $50. Ironically, I was $50 short in what I needed for bills, the 1st month at my new place. (They wouldn't respond to Legal Aid's requests for mediation, even though the gate opener they said I never turned back in was given to the weirdo leasing agent who I'd turned in for basically stalking me after only a few months of living there--a dude who, shortly after I brought up to leadership how--attached--I felt he was to me, and Kim, the bimbo, zealot, bigot Christian, sorority girl defended him, as though I had anything to lie about, took off like a bat out of hell and never returned to work again! Yeah, U keep that $50 and steal from the poor after you call me a prophet and tell me I should be a Christian minister because my already-established, powerful yoga reputation around the property leaves your displayed spirituality, and associated arrogance, in the dust).
15. Arizona Unemployment System (non-employer)-For wanting the very list I'm providing you, filled with "Why?" after already disqualifying me for getting a continuation from exhausted California benefits. Reason? ROSS Stores said I quit without a good reason (What the apocalyptic, god-forsaken @#%*?!?!!). I told the Arizona Unemployment System in writing and by phone to go where ROSS Stores were going, then, & to take the entire state with them, if the penis sculpture, futzed up leadership job offer, & interrogation room experience 4 making pure, sweet, all-natural, fresh-squeezed lemonade out of rotten lemons (was what they were giving me). I forgot about the breach of confidentiality policy (Not that that would make 1 bit of difference to them).
16. METROFLEX GYM-Yeah. Mr.You'll-Be-Our-Only-Yog-When-That-Wasn't-My-Goal goes back on his word & punks out on the wage he promised me in front of, in his words, all his girlfriend's "gay friends" who are all the Zumba teachers, along with his snarly little Victoria's Secret wannabe girlfriend, as though that will change what he's done with Source God. And so I show up & won't budge from the gym a week later, tell his friend the story of being screwed over AGAIN in the United States pertaining to the spread and teaching of yoga, & so I finally agree to let him pay me FOR Josh, which I think is horrible of Josh to let him (but he apparently didn't want to return to the gym while I was there)(So much for bodybuilders representing strength).
17. Circle K-Hmm. YES, being asked if you're legal--twice--by a supposed veteran Store Manager who has since dropped down to a basic Cashier & can barely do that right does comprise racial discrimination or EEOC-ness. As does another comment at another store where I'm farmed out to try & get me to full-time of "U got some new people in here today?" "Yeah, she's part of the EXCHANGE program (Haha!-Evil laughter)." You'd better hand me your org chart (after only a few weeks, which they did) & encourage me to apply to Marketing. Circle K claims they don't "do" breaks since, historically, their workers spend over 30% of their time smoking on the job & doing non work-related stuff. If you're healthy, however, have more energy than everybody at the company put together, & don't smoke, you will handle lines out the door by yourself while the Assistant Manager you're stuck working with AGAIN mutters to herself & walks right by when customers, who used to be Circle K leaders themselves, say, "Can U help this girl!?!" When Ed, the General Manager who'd initially put forth a heroic effort to get me out of the Recession, even over another Divisional Manager's conclusion based on an interview for running my own store: "She's overqualified for anything at store level. You need to apply to Marketing & not look back," & said he (Ed) "wanted to be a part of my team" (meaning how my career with Circle K was intended to partner with my vision for Power Yoga teaching, etc.), couldn't hide his Dr.Jekyll/Mr.Hyde & escalated what had been an increasing number of verbally abusive outbursts, including in front of the Market Manager over him in the store the day before, called me an "ARROGANT B**CH!!!" for asking if there was something wrong lately since I'd noticed his terrifying behavior around me. Lalala. The non-yogic world. I still don't know why he yelled that. Maybe it's because rather than leave me to take out the garbage, like Ed was ordering me to do, the Market Manager HELPED ME TAKE OUT THE TRASH while we continued our conversation about the Manager-In-Training program vs. sticking with strictly Marketing aspirations. The EEOC has this now, too (Again, did NOTHING & sided with Circle K, maybe because James Cureton, the Market Manager, was happy to speak against me, despite handing me the org. chart and encouraging me to try and land in Marketing, even though he's Black). Because, apparently, by showing up as the only Asian chick in the entire company, from what it looks like, I've made people uncomfortable knowing that they can't say racist things around me because I'll eliminate it, or try. And so, as opposed to them, or their racism, being the problem, I am, so retaliation began, including not being able to help at all these other stores, thereby not getting close to my 40 hours.
--Who's next?! Who Will Do Right?
*Denotes still owes me $money$, wages.
So here's my question:
Why am I the only real warrior left?
Step off your yoga mats, put down your guns, & live the Essence & demand it from others. It's the only real battle left to be won.
Happy Veteran's Day, Sam (Dad-right).
Vietnam Vet (Medic)
Cousin Andy's Birthday (L.A. animator)
lAmy Jin Schmelzer
Teacher of Souls
Teacher of Yoga
"I am the grand Musician."
Sing in your car. Dance in your living room.